Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe I found on the internet. I have never seen these in our area so went looking for a recipe.
- 3 cups walnut halves
- oil, to fry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a wok, heat oil for deep frying to 300 deg. over med. heat. Add walnuts and deep fry turning frequently, until golden for four to five minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Cook stirring, over low heat until brown sugar melts. Add honey and five-spice powder. Mix well. Remove from heat and add walnuts and sesame seeds; gently to coat.
- Spread mixture in a foil lined baking pan or plate. Let stand until cool. Break into bite sized pieces before serving.
This is actually Chef Martin Yan's recipe
Ok, so, I didn't have any sesame seeds or Chinese five spice powder or honey. I just used brown sugar and butter. WOW! My walnuts turned out absolutely wonderful! I would only caution other chefs to be careful when stir frying the walnuts. It REALLY only takes four or five minutes like the recipe says... I burned my first batch. But I can't wait to try it with all the proper ingredients!
I don't usually fry nuts but this was very good! I like the sweet taste and the spices! Thanks! Made for PAC(Pick a Chef) game.