Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make asian style meatballs all the time, but I think these are the best ones yet. My own recipe, derived from experimenting.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced fine
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3⁄4 cup water chestnut, diced (1 can)
- 1⁄4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallion
- 3 ounces rice crackers, crushed fine (about 3/4 package. sesame flavor is preferable)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (for very spicy sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- .preheat oven to 500.
- oil or spray 2 big baking sheets.
- mix together all ingredients for meatballs in a big bowl & stir with hands. form 1 inch balls and place close together but not touching on pans.
- bake for 20 minutes.
- meanwhile, grease a frying pan with a little sesame oil and fry up garlic ginger and red pepper for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- whisk together beef stock, sugar, chili paste, and vinegar. carefully add to pan and let it come to a simmer.
- mix cornstarch in the water until dissolved, add to pan and let simmer.
- remove meatballs from oven and scrape from pan with spatula. they should be dark brown on the bottom, maybe with some little burnt bits.
- add meatballs to the lightly simmering sauce, stir carefully, & let thicken so that the balls are covered in a nice thick glaze. this may take 10 minutes or so.
- arrange in a nice serving dish with toothpicks & serve.