Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I LOVE Brussels sprouts! I usually roast them with garlic, olive oil and sea salt. This recipes sounds wonderful - from June 2007 GH. Haven't tried it yet but will this fall when they are back in season.
- 2 (10 ounce) containers Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (they recommend low-sodium)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half & thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- Trim stems and any yellow leaves from Brussels sprouts. Cut each sprout lengthwise into quarters.
- In a cup, stir together soy sauce, grated ginger and sesame oil.
- Meanwhile, in nonstick 12-inch skillet heat olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes or until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium high, add Brussels sprouts and water; cover and cook about 5 minutes or until sprouts are beginning to soften and brown, stirring once.
- Remove cover from skillet and cook about 5 minutes longer or until sprouts are tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Remove skillet from heat; stir in soy sauce mixture.
I did not like this and was going to rate it as such but then realized that I didn't use fresh ginger so that wouldn't be fair. Also I let the sprouts get mushy which wasn't the recipe's fault! Regardless though, I don't think this will work for me even if I did make all the necessary changes. I added some extra soy sauce mixed with maple syrup to salvage it. Everyone is different though so don't let my review deter you!
This was really tasty and a nice change from roasting. I followed the recipe exactly. DH said, "Make it again."
Best Brussels Sprouts recipe ever. The flavors are just incredible.