Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious and quick to prepare. I serve this with steamed jasmine rice for a nice after-work dinner. Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 lb lean sirloin steaks, sliced into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lb thin asparagus, tough ends snapped off and cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly, diagonally sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2⁄3 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine beef and cornstarch in a large bowl; using your hands, rub to coat well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a large skillet over high heat; working in batches, add beef in a single layer and cook, undisturbed, until meat begins to blacken on the bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes; turn over and cook until second side browns, about 1 minute; transfer beef to a large plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil and 1 tsp sesame oil in same skillet over medium-high heat; add asparagus, green onions and ginger; saute until vegetables are tinged brown and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes; add broth, fish sauce and sugar; bring to a boil; return beef to skillet and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a platter and serve.
We really liked this and it came together quickly. I doubled the sauce recipe b/c I had a bit more than a pound of sirloin AND we like extra sauce for rice. I didn't use the fish sauce (we don't really care for it) instead did 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Nice meal w/ingrediants I ususally have on hand. Thanks!
What a great tasting, wicked simple one-dish meal! I made only one change and one addition. The change was that I used blade instead of sirloin steaks (cut out the center line of gristle and then cut the two halves of each steak into thin strips). Blade steaks are more affordable than sirloin and stand up really well to pan frying. And I also added two carrots, cut on the bias into slices about 1/4", with the asparagus. Thank you Hey Jude, this was a real week-day winner.
Tried this for tonight's dinner and it was a hit with family! My husband and son is into this low carb diet and they ate just this, my 13, 8, and 3yr old ate this with rice and they love it! I tweaked it a little bit, i added 1 clove fresh minced garlic and 1 onion. I doubled the recipe since I have 1.5 lbs of sirloin and added fresh mushroom in it too. I also used half and half of fish sauce and oyster sauce. It turned out like something you'll eat at a Chinese restaurant.