Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The ginger and sesame adds an asiatic flavor to the asparagus.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, thin, trimmed on the bottom and cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped and peeled
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ice water
- In a skillet, heat 1 cup water to boiling over high heat.
- Add asparagus, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium once it boils.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- Drain the asparagus in a colander, the nimmediately plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop it from cooking. Drain the asparagus from the ice water.
- Carely wipe skillet dry with paper towels. Add canola oil, heat it over high heat until hot. Add the asparagus, ginger, soy sauce and crushed red pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes or just until asparagus is heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in sesame seeds and sesame oil. Coat thoroughly.
- Serve immediately.