Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Daugthter Mary lives in Hawaii and I got this from one of the newspaper articles she sent me. This dish was prepared by Carl Ung of Fat Boy's Drive-In on "Hawaii's Kitchen". The show airs at 5:30 p.m. on KHON/Fox.
- 6 lbs boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- chopped green onion, for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced sauteed garlic
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Combine with flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- To make sauce: Combine ingredients in small saucepan and simmer until reduced by half. Cool to room temperature.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan. Pan-fry chicken until cooked through.
- Combine chicken with sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
i used to eat there almost every week after my daughter had gymnastics and i moved away 4 months ago and i miss it so much.. i made this tonight and it was just like i was back in hawaii.. thank you so much