Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
"There's something about the mixture of toasted sesame seeds and garlic that makes this broccoli, well, poetic! Though we created it especially to complement our Sweet and Sour Mango Shrimp, it's the perfect side dish for almost any Asian-style fish or meat. Because the broccoli is steamed rather than sautéed, the fat content is extremely low. If you limit how much sauce you drizzle over it, you can reduce the calories even more."
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 20 ounces broccoli (1 1/4 lbs)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread the sesame seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until fragrant and golden brown.
- When done, remove from hot pan into medium bowl to stop cooking.
- Mix the chopped garlic, sesame oil, chili sauce, and soy sauce.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the stalks of broccoli.
- Quarter the broccoli stalks lengthwise.
- Steam the broccoli in a vegetable steamer over water until it reaches desired tenderness.
- *If you like broccoli a little crunchy, steam for about 2 minutes.
- Remove broccoli and place in serving bowl.
- Drizzle the sauce over it and mix well.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- This vegetable dish keeps well and is delicious cold. Keep it airtight in your refrigerator.
Great recipe to try. A nice change from just steamed . I chose to brown the sesame seeds on top of the stove top ~ they came out great. Very easy to make.
This is very good broccoli. I used an Asian chili sauce that was slightly sweet, but still spicy. It was a great compliment to the broccoli.