Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You really don't have to like tofu to drool for this! For the tofu I use organic herb tofu and black sesame seeds. I go a little over the top with the "dash" seasonings, but I like tons of heat and flavor, so adjust to personal taste.
- 1⁄4 cup wakame seaweed (or other dark seaweed, i use sushi wrapping, crumbled up)
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1 lb firm tofu, patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 dash garlic powder
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons peanut oil
- Pour boiling water over arame and soak for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Put scallions in food processor and pulse a few times until minced. Transfer to large bowl. Put seaweed and half the tofu into processor and pulse a couple of times until just crumbled. Add to bowl.
- Put remaining tofu into processor and let it run until tofu is smooth. Add to bowl with crumbs, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper, hot sauce, garlic powder, a little salt and lots of pepper. Stir well to combine. Form into patties. Let rest a few minutes. (Burger mixture or shaped burgers can be covered tightly and refrigerated for up to a day. Bring back to room temperature before cooking.).
- Put oil in large nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron skillet, turn heat to medium. After a minute or 2, slip burgers into pan with spatula. Cook, undisturbed, until browned and easily moved, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until done, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Serve over rice, noodles or on buns.