Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
"Dig These Clams", Good Food Magazine, August 1986
Make and share this Sesame Fried Clams recipe from Food.com.
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, shucked
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup club soda or 1⁄4 cup seltzer water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for deep-frying
- rice vinegar
- Rinse clams. Drain well, then dry thoroughly with paper towels. (Important! If clams are not completely dry before coating, they will sputter violently when added to hot oil.).
- Whisk egg in small bowl. Add flour, club soda, sesame seeds and oil, and baking powder; whisk until completely blended.
- Heat 2 inches oil in deep medium skillet to 375 degrees. Dip 6 dry clams into batter, then add to oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven while frying remaining clams.
- Serve clams as appetizer and drizzle with vinegar.