Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find! I think some soy sauce and or parsley would be good in this too.
- Poke the eggplant in a couple of places with a fork and bake at 350F for about 1 hour until very soft. Let cool.
- Scoop out all of the pulp and discard skin.
- Mash pulp well and add all other ingredients (except sesame seeds).
- Roast sesame seeds in a small pan on stovetop or 400F oven, stirring if needed. When light brown in color, remove from heat and let cool.
- Stir half of the sesame seeds into the eggplant mixture.
- Turn the eggplant mixture into an attractive serving dish and sprinkle remaining sesame seeds over the top.
- This dish may be served as an appetizer with crackers or breadsticks. It is also a great condiment for Baked Polenta squares, and goes very well with an antipasto platter.
I really enjoyed this as a dip I added in more fresh garlic and used greek yogurt, also I used seasoned salt, great dip and I will make again soon, thanks Engrossed!