Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From a seafood only cookbook. This could be used for a variety of fish steaks, including swordfish, halibut, and tuna.
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mirin
- 4 salmon steaks
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large plastic bag, combine the soy sauce and mirin. Add the salmon, coating it well with the marinade, and seal the bag. Let the salmon marinate, chopped, for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Remove the salmon from the bag and discard the marinade. Spread the sesame seeds on a plate and season the salmon with salt and pepper, then coat both sides of each steak with the seeds, patting them on to make sure they stick.
- Preheat the grill, or broiler with the rack in the top position.
- Brush the grill with oil and grill the salmon ( or broil it on a rack in a baking pan) for 6 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.