A few years ago I attended a cooking class with Tony Mantuano, the owner-chef of Tuttaposto, then a very trendy restaurant in Chicago. This was one of the recipes he showed us. A fast and tasty dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan.
- Brush fillets with the egg whites and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat thickly on one side only with the sesame seeds.
- Saute in oil, seed side down, until golden brown.
- Place seed side up on a cornmeal sprinkled baking pan and bake at 400 deg. until done - this will depend on the thickness of your fillets, probably will take about 5 minutes.
- Or, you can just turn over and panfry until done.
- Note1: Chef recommended grouper or red snapper; I've made this also with tilapia.
- Note2: Baking is really handy if you are making a larger quantity - that way you can finish all the fillets at the same time.