Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A moist, delicious rice dish made flavorful with the addition of Sambar powder, Indian seasoning for red lentils. The toasted sesame seeds add a tasty nuttiness to the dish. I used basmati rice for this, but jasmine works well, also and is more nutritious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 3 dried red peppers
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sambhar powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- Cook rice and allow to cool.
- Roast sesame seeds over low heat until light brown in color.
- Coarsely grind peanuts and sesame seeds (I use a coffee grinder for spices).
- Heat ghee over medium-high heat.
- Add chana dal and mustard seeds.
- When they crackle, add chilis, curry leaves, hing, turmeric, and sambhar powder.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Add lemon and rice, sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, coconuts, and peanuts & sesame seeds.
- Stir well and serve hot.
- 1/2 cup water may be added to increase moisture in rice, to taste.