Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Family Circle.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup bottled teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine chicken pieces and teriyaki sauce in medium-size bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in large, resealable plastic food-storage bag. Lightly beat egg whites in a bowl. Spread out sesame seeds in shallow pan. Add chicken cubes, a few at a time, to flour mixture; seal bag; shake to coat. Dip floured chicken pieces into egg white. Roll in sesame seeds to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through; instant-read meat thermometer inserted in chicken pieces should register 160 degrees F.
- Dipping Sauce: Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat jelly, soy sauce and ginger until warmed. Serve with chicken.
- Note: In a large skillet, spread sesame seeds, working in batches if too crowded. Toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Chicken pieces can be coated and refrigerated up to 4 hours.
We sure did like this version of sesame chicken. I have to admit that I changed a couple of things. I used black currant jelly, in place of the red currant, as it is what I had on hand. There was no difference in the flavor, or very minor, but it is why the picture of the sauce looks so dark in the photo. I also cut back the amount of sesame seeds, to approx. 1/2 c., and added a bit of flour, to 'flesh' out the breading. I've had this saved for quite awhile, and I'm so glad I finally made it! Thanks so much for sharing, BurtonFanatic...this one's going in the keeper file! :)