Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can use chicken tenders for this recipe also. Great OAMC recipe as you can freeze the nuggets after frying. Just reheat them on a cookie sheet in a 375F oven for about 15 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- vegetable oil, for frying
- SWEET SAUCE: Mix all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and cook till warm. Makes about 1 cup.
- CHICKEN: Mix egg, milk, garlic powder, sesame seeds and flour into a large bowl. Add in chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- FRYING: Using a deep fryer, heat oil to 350F and carefully add chicken pieces in a single layer, frying until golden (about 3-4 minutes). (do in batches if necessary). Drain on paper towels. Serve with toothpicks for dipping.
Made this up for one of the monthly meetings I host, & they were such a big hit, I now must make the entire recipe another time for a special dinner just for the 2 of us! Loved the dipping sauce (which I tripled), & can see it topping the chicken on a bed of brown rice! Thanks, much, for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
Yummy! This dish is simple but good and indeed, with the sauce, it's like having sweet and sour but more of the sweetness in it. They were delightful as they were so easy to make as the chicken marinade's just mixed all together and so with the sweet sauce. I'll be making this again. Thanks, 2Bleu!
These were really good... I felt like I was in my favorite Chinese resteraunt eating sweet and sour chicken.... The sauce was out of this world.... I was unable to find just pineapple preserves but I did find a jar of apricot and pineapple preserves already mixed so I used about 1/2-3/4 cups of that..... The only complaint I had was from my 4 yr old son.... He wanted to know why they weren't shaped like rectangles..... :)