Recipe by Valeria
This is just a delight for a spring picnic or small potluck. To save time, you can do steps 1-3 the day before and store the couscous in the refrigerator. Almonds, sesame oil and seeds can be easily omited and the oil replaced with olive oil in step 1 (and just omited altogether in step 6).
Top Review by kennedyfish
We made this recipe as a cold side dish for a trip to the beach. We omitted the chicken and had broccoli alone. It was wonderful with the toasted almonds and sesame seeds. My kids love couscous and ate this up!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar snap peas or 1 1⁄2 cups snow peas
- 3⁄4 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil and bring to a boil.
- Place couscous in large bowl and stir in boiling broth. Cover and let stand 5-8 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Stir in green onions and red pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Steam peas one minute. Add broccoli and steam 2 more minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Add chicken, peas and broccoli to couscous.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, pepper and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Blend into couscous mixture.
- Mix in toasted almonds and sesame seeds immediately before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Variation: Substitute bulgur for couscous. Allow to stand in boiling liquid, covered, for 30 minutes.