1 hr 5 mins
This is my version of Sesame Chicken. I am a dump cook so these measurements are approximate, not exact. I serve this with egg rolls, stir fry vegetables, Lo Mein and fried rice for a meal or on tooth picks for an appetizer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste or 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- olive oil (for the wok) or peanut oil (for the wok)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (to taste)
- 1Remove bone and skin from chicken.
- 2Cut into bite sized pieces.
- 3Mix with the first 8 ingredients (egg through white pepper).
- 4Stir in chicken.
- 5Cover and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- 6Mix 1/2-cup water and 1/4-cup cornstarch.
- 7Heat next ingredients (sugar through garlic) until boiling.
- 8Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- 9Cook until thickened.
- 10Taste and adjust sweetness to taste with vinegar or sugar.
- 11Remove from heat; keep warm.
- 12Heat oil (about 1-1/2 inches deep) to 350°.
- 13Fry pieces of chicken in batches small enough to allow free movement.
- 14Cook three minutes or until light brown or golden brown if you will only fry once.
- 15Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- 16Repeat until all chicken is done.
- 17(2nd frying is optional but makes the chicken crispy like you get at Chinese places) Reheat oil to 375°.
- 18Fry about 1/2 the chicken 1 minute, or until golden brown.
- 19Remove from oil and drain on towel.
- 20Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 21Heat sauce to boiling, pour over chicken and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
- 22Serve immediately or keep in a warm oven for up to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 823.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 36.4 g
- Protein 30.6 g