Chef #642189's Note:
This is a great sesame chicken recipe. Yummy. Next time I make it, I might not cook the chicken in the same manner to cut down on the fat/calories. But the taste of the sauce is great!!! The longer the sauce sits/cooks, the more tasty. Rave reviews from all my neighbors. Comes from the Colorado Collage Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 teaspoons rice wine or 6 teaspoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 -6 red pepper pods, dried and hot
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1In medium bowl, combine sugar, 1/4 cup of the soy sauce, vinegar, 4 teaspoons of the rice wine, and chicken broth. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- 2In separate bowl, combine chicken pieces, remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons rice wine.
- 3Marinate chicken at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- 4Add egg whites and cornstarch and stir until well blended.
- 5In wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in 3 batches, until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towls. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- 6Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from wok and reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and pepper pods and cook, stirring frequently, until peppers blacken, about 1 minute.
- 7Add reserved soy sauce mixture, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Add reserved chicken and sesame seeds and stir until coated.
- 8Serve with rice and top with green onions (optional).
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.0
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 113.2 mg
- Sodium 1595.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 44.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pepper pods