Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is really easy to make and delicious! You can leave out the chili if you don't like it spicy or cooking this for children.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cubed (or cut into strips)
- 1 -2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup water (maybe some more)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 -2 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- chopped green onion, for garnish (optional)
- For the sauce, mix the cornstarch with the water until there are no lumps.
- Add the sherry, ketchup,honey, soy, garlic, ginger, chili and the sesame oil, set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat the oil and fry the chicken for approx 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture and cook until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Lower the heat, add the sesame seeds and simmer for approx 10 minutes.
- If the sauce is too thick add some more water.
- Serve with the green onions sprinkled on top.
We made this for guests and weren't disappointed. yum! If anything we were rather heavy on the peppers so ours packed quite a bit of heat but it was wonderful! Pleasure to make and pleasure to eat, this will get repeated for sure! Thanks!!!
I did cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us & didn't really want a chili pepper, but substituted a tablespoon of finely chopped green chilies from a can & that gave us just a hint of heat which is what I was after ~ I like my tongue to tingle just a little rather than my whole mouth to catch on fire! Shows you what a wimp I am when it comes to Mexican foods! Anyway, we did enjoy this chicken dish & would happily make it again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]
Very much enjoyed, although I did leave out the chillies. And I added carrots, celery, and zucchini, cutting as for stirfry, and adding with the chicken (I added the zucchini a few moments later than the other vegetables). This was delicious, quickly and easily prepared, I served it with steamed rice, a really good meal for mid-week dinners when you don't have a lot of time but it's nice to have an appealing meal! Thank you for a lovely recipe, Pets - made in your memory.