Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a great recipe to serve at a party. This recipe can be doubled and probably should be!
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese (I like Mex/Tex mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Place last 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Leave out until room temp.
- Toast seeds on low heat in heavy fry pan stirring constantly (15 min or so).
- Work dough until well mixed.
- (I use my hands, other prefer a pastry blender.) Add seeds& mix just until incorporated.
- Roll dough on floured board until 1/8 in.
- Use a knife and cut into squares or use (cookie) cutters to make fancier shapes.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.
You have to be quite careful wih this recipe. The first problem was that the mixture turned out to be too dry and I had to add a 1/2 cup of water to get a good consistency that could be rolled out. The second is that the baking time is too long. At that temperature I found that 8-10 minutes produced a well done cracker. However in its favour is that it does produce a very nice tasting cracker and the end results were polished off enthusiastically by myself and my toddler. Depending on the saltiness of the cheese, you should be able to reduce the added salt.
wonderful! very easy and very tasty. They puff up and are crispy.
Like another reviewer, I had to add some water to get the dough to rolling consistency. I added more sesame seeds as I love them. I served this cracker at a party and everyone really liked it !!