Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I wanted an Asian-style cabbage salad with crispy noodles and lots of herbs, but wanted to avoid the salt and oil of most of the recipes on the site. I modified the lovely sesame-cabbage salad (Sesame Cabbage Salad) by omitting the red cabbage, and adding the crispy noodles just before serving.
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 4 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1 red capsicum, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves, only
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 100 g chang's original fried Chinese noodles
- sesame dressing
- 1⁄2 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 small fresh chili pepper, finely sliced (omit seeds for less heat)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- In a bowl, mix finely sliced cucumber, onion and all the Sesame dressing ingredients. Cover and leave in the fridge - you can prepare this up to the night before.
- Shred cabbage into a large bowl, and mix through capsicum, parsley and coriander leaves. If this is dry, it will keep loosely wrapped in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- Just before serving pour marinated cucumber mixture over the top. Add the noodles and mix well. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.