Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A one-pot vegetarian meal
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown basmati rice (or other long grain brown rice)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 1⁄3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon hulled sesame seeds, toasted in a dry skillet
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Combine the onion and oil in a large shallow saucepan (with a tight fitting lid).
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until onion is golden.
- Stir in the rice and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the water; bring to a boil; add in the salt, stir thoroughly, cover and cook 35-40 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed (do not stir).
- Uncover the pot and while it is still on the heat, sprinkle the broccoli, green beans, squash, carrot, and red bell pepper evenly over the surface of the rice.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and drizzle with the sesame oil.
- Spoon into a serving dish and serve immediately.
We really liked this dish. I made the brown basmati in the rice cooker and stir fried the exact ingredients, minus the water. It was full of flavor and the vegies were crisp and delicious. Thank you NurseDi.