Recipe by Chef# 477627
From Diana Rattray: Can't remember which site I found this at, but wow, what a different take on broccoli! Will convert broccoli haters, and show cheese sauce lovers a whole new side of broccoli. Highly recommended!
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use Japanese style, Kikkoman, not China Lily for this recipe.)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim and wash broccoli; drain. Cook broccoli spears in a small amount of boiling salted water 1/4 cup) just until tender, about 5 minutes. (Or microwave (1 - 2 tablespoons water) for 3 minutes for 1000 watt microwave, adjust your time according to wattage!).
- Drain and arrange broccoli spears in a serving dish.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine vegetable oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame seed; bring to a boil.
- Pour 1/2 the sauce over the hot broccoli, turning spears to coat thoroughly. Serve immediately.
- (Note: Serving size is 2, although there is enough sauce for 4+ servings. I save the balance for dressing leftover rice -- makes an excellent salad topping served warm.