Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Diana Rattray: Can't remember which site I found this at, but wow, what a different take on broccoli! Will convert broccoli haters, and show cheese sauce lovers a whole new side of broccoli. Highly recommended!
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use Japanese style, Kikkoman, not China Lily for this recipe.)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Trim and wash broccoli; drain. Cook broccoli spears in a small amount of boiling salted water 1/4 cup) just until tender, about 5 minutes. (Or microwave (1 - 2 tablespoons water) for 3 minutes for 1000 watt microwave, adjust your time according to wattage!).
- Drain and arrange broccoli spears in a serving dish.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine vegetable oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame seed; bring to a boil.
- Pour 1/2 the sauce over the hot broccoli, turning spears to coat thoroughly. Serve immediately.
- (Note: Serving size is 2, although there is enough sauce for 4+ servings. I save the balance for dressing leftover rice -- makes an excellent salad topping served warm.
Thanks for sharing a great new way to serve broccoli. This tasty & simple side-dish is one I'll be making again!
This really was simple and very tasty! I had rice vinegar on hand and used it, and I opted to use my Tahini (soy sauce). My 15-year-old daughter liked it as well. Definitely will keep this recipe and share with friends. Oh, yeah, I had it as a side dish with Mahi Mahi, which had similar ingredients. Next time will also have wild rice and mushrooms to top it all off!
I thought this was ok but I think the vinegar was just a little overpowering for me. I think next time I'd cut it back to about 1 tsp. and start from there. I loved that this is a nice way to add a little zip to Broccoli without adding alot of extra fat and it was very simple. Thank's!