Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A trusted recipe which has always been part of my Christmas cookie selection. They keep well and also freeze well. If you store them in a cookie tin, they will be crisp. If you store them in a tupperware type container they will be soft.Adapted from a womens magazine years ago.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 5 -6 ounces blanched almonds, for garnish
- Cream butter& sugar together until light& fluffy.
- Add the egg and both extracts and beat well to combine.
- Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Cover dough and chill in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Form dough into a 1 inch balls and roll the balls in sesame seed to coat.
- Center each ball with a blanched almond, pressing the almond slightly to make sure it adheres to the cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- DO NOT BROWN.
- Cool on baking racks.
These were just sugar cookies with sesame seeds. I was hoping for more umph. They DID all get eaten, though! :)