Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found in Sunset's Wok Cookbook; posting for ZWT6 (Asia)
Make and share this Sesame-Blacked Carrots recipe from Food.com.
- Place a wok over medium heat; when wok is hot, add sesame seeds and stir often until seeds taste toasted and the few light-colored seeds among the black turn golden about 2 minutes).
- Pour seeds out of wok and set aside.
- Add oil to wok and increase heat to medium-high.
- When oil is hot, add onion and stir-fry until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add butter, carrots, and ginger; stir-fry until carrots are tender-crisp to bite (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in sesame seeds and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Very nice side dish. I used pre-cut carrot sticks from the store. Really like the ginger. Made for football pool, 2012.
Oh I am so sorry I could not do this with black sesame seeds (searched health food, gourmet shops and supermarkets and could not get) so had to use regular but the taste was delicious. My only confusion was carrots shredded (to me means grated) but realized after making that to me is juliened (finely sliced in sticks). I sliced them finely on the diagonal and allowed some extra time to cook them especially for the DM as she likes them softer than al-dente, did scale back to 2 serves and was more than enough for 3 of us as a side, thank you AZPARZYCH, made for Everyday A Holiday.
Cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us & we both thoroughly enjoyed the flavor combo of sesame seed & ginger with the carrots! Certainly dresses 'em up! Easy recipe, too, which makes it a nice keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hits recipe tag]