Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from the mind of David Rosengarten. Recipe requires 5.5 hours for marinating time.
- 6 ounces boneless beef shoulder, trimmed, frozen 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 4 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons chinese black vinegar or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese sesame paste
- 1⁄4 lb pencil-thin asparagus tips (top 4 inches only)
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 4 dried red chili peppers
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice steak into broad 1/8-inch thick strips, about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. In a small bowl combine steak strips with baking soda, crushed garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cold water. Mix well and soak 5 hours.
- Rinse steak slices and dry well on paper towels. In a small bowl mix together egg white and salt, stirring vigorously until egg white foams. Stir in sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon peanut oil and cornstarch. Add steak and toss to coat. Marinate 1/2 hour at room temperature. In another small bowl, combine thin soy sauce, Shao Hsing, remaining 4 teaspoons sugar, vinegar, sesame oil and sesame paste; set aside.
- In a wok, heat remaining 4 cups peanut oil over high heat to 375°F Drain beef, pat dry then deep-fry 45 seconds, turning pieces several times with a metal spoon. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef and drain on paper towels. When oil returns to 375F, deep-fry 15 seconds more, remove beef, and drain. Repeat deep-frying, 15 seconds, a third time. Remove beef and drain on clean paper towels. When oil returns to 375 degrees, deep-fry asparagus and red bell pepper 30 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon oil from wok and increase heat to high. Add chili peppers, scallions, chopped garlic and chopped ginger; stir-fry 1 minute. Add asparagus and red pepper; stir-fry 10 seconds and add beef. Stir in soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil and serve immediately with rice.