Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
In '1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mirin or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces (1 lb.)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced scallion (1/2 inch pieces, white and green parts)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, stir together the water, soy sauce, mirin, plum sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and vinegar; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add the garlic; cook, stirring 10 seconds.
- Add the asparagus and scallions; cook, stirring, until about half the asparagus have turned bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds and sesame oil; toss until combined.