Recipe by Barb G.
A simple to make yummy cookie.I found the recipe in the Good Housekeeping magazine Christmas cookies section December 2005. Note: I think that these cookies would also be good using chocolate graham crackers or drizzling melted chocolate over the tops of cookies.
Top Review by Ratalouille
I made this recipe twice. Both time I had issues with the butter separating. The first time, the "oily" butter separated from the sugar, leaving something like a brittle, so I discarded the oil, spread the brittle on the graham crackers and continued with the recipe. This baked up nicely and "stuck" to the crackers. The second time, I tried cooking the butter and sugar longer ... still, this "oily" separation. I added the almonds to this mixture, poured the whole thing over the graham crackers, and got soggy crackers. I baked as directed, but the mixture didn't stick to the crackers like the first batch. The almonds and sesame seeds kept falling off with every bite. So I scraped the almonds off the crackers and used them as a waffle topping (which, by the way was delicious!) Even with all my "issues" ... we loved 'em. The only thing missing, was a drizzle of chocolate over the top. Thanks Barb :) I made this for the "Cooking with an Asian Accent" event - March 2009.
- 12 graham crackers (5-inch By 2 1/2-inch each)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cut up (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preaheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place graham crackers side by side in ungreased jelly roll pan,(Make sure to use pan size called for; Crackers should cover entire pan with NO spaces in between) I lined the pan with release foil, this way the graham crackers fit really good in the pan.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, combine butter and sugar; heat to boiling over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, Boil 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Spread mixture evenly over graham crackers; sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds.
- Bake 18 to 19 minutes or until graham crackers are slightly brown and butter bubbles and turns golden; WATCH CAREFULLY during the last 2 to 3 minutes of baking to make sure graham crackers do not over brown.
- Note: my cookies were done in 16 minutes.
- While cookies are still in pan, with knife, IMMEDIATLY cut each graham cracker crosswise in half.
- With metal spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Store cookies in tightly covered container, with wax paper between layers,in refrigerator up to 1 month or freeze up to 3 months.