Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my Grandmother, an Aunt, my Mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/suppliment the written directions. For neater presentation use ironed napkins for this fold. This is informal and easy.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place your serviette flat before you in a square shape.
- Take the bottom left and bottom right corners and bring them up to meet the top left and top right corners. You will now have a rectangle that has a crease at the bottom.
- Repeat Step 2 so that your rectangle is now 1/4 the width of the serviette square.
- Take the left top and bottom corners (the left narrow edge) and fold over to meet the center of the serviette.
- Now take the right top and bottom corners and also for towards the center, but only 1/4 th of the way. You now have a rectangle with a big flap on the left side and a smaller one half the size on the right.
- Take the right top and bottom corners and fold them over to the left but stop short of meeting the outer left edge, by 1 inch (2.5 cm) or less depending on the size of your serviettes.
- Take the right top an bottom corner of the rectangle and fold it again towards the left side, and again stop short of the fold that you made in the previous step. You should now have before you an almost square serviette with three vertical pleats along the top.
- Arrange the serviette on a plate.