Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my grandmother, an aunt, my mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. For neater presentation use ironed napkins for this fold. This is an easy symmetric form that is very pleasing.
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you in a diamond shape.
- Fold the South point of the diamond up to meet the North point. You will now have before you a triangle shape with a crease at the bottom.
- Take the East point of the triangle and fold it in towards the middle. What was the sloping right hand edge of the triangle is now a vertical edge running down the center of the triangle and there is a little flap sticking out at the bottom.
- Take the West point and fold it into the center the same as you did with the previous East edge, the two vertical lines should meet in the middle, and you will have a diamond shape that has two long sides at the top and two short sides (the two little flaps) at the bottom.
- Take the new East point and fold it over to the center so that the edge that *was* the outside east long edge of the diamond is now running straight down the center of the serviette ( in line with the one underneath it) Repeat with the new West point.
- Carefully turn the serviette over and fold it half, tucking the thin point at the top into the band at the back.
- Carefully turn the serviette over again and arrange if necessary so that the front it neat and symmetrical.
- Place flat on a plate.