Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Between the teachings of my Grandmother, an Aunt, my Mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. For neater presentation use ironed napkins for this fold. Once I had loaded all the serviette folds that I knew well here, I decided to learn others that I hadn't yet mastered, and this one was excellent because while it is a tried and true restaurant favourite, I never used it while in the three restaurants I worked in. So now was my chance to learn a new one! I had fun and I hope that you do too.
- Lay your serviette out flat and square before you.
- Take the top and bottom left hand corners and fold them over to the top and bottom right hand corners so that you now have a vertical rectangle before you, with the crease on the left.
- Starting at the bottom left and bottom right corners, accordion fold the serviette upwards to just past the half way point of the rectangle. (ironing the folds helps them to keep their shape).
- Now take the right side corner edge of the accordion folded strip and fold it over to the left side corner edge of the accordion strip so that the strip is now folded in half. There will be a square shape that is folded in half hanging out at the back.
- Holding the folded accordion pleats firmly, take hold of the top right corner of the square flap at the back (this corner has two open points, no fold line) and fold it over to meet the bottom left point of the square (right next to the accordion fold where it is folded in half), it should overlap the bottom of the square just a little.
- Now take that little overlapping flap and tuck it under the bottom of the square, that should secure things so that the serviette will stand up well.
- Carefully stand the serviette up and fan out the accordion pleats, the square part will be at right angles out at the back and stabilizes the fan as it stands up.
- Present it standing on a plate.