Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Between the teachings of my grandmother, an aunt, my mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. This one was learned while waitressing at the Iron Horse Restaurant in Christchurch, New Zealand in the 1980's.
- 1 paper, serviette (large)
- 1 cloth, serviette (large)
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you in a diamond shape.
- Take the South point at the bottom and fold it up to meet the North point at the top. You will now have a triangle with the crease at the bottom.
- Take the bottom right hand point of the triangle and fold it up to the North point position. Repeat with the bottom left point. You will now have a diamond shape with a gap running vertically down the centre.
- Carefully turn the serviette over and fold the south point up towards the north point but only 1/3 or 1/2 way up (depending on how big your serviettes are, a larger or smaller fold here as appropriate will look more balanced, you choose which looks best for yours).
- Carefully turn the serviette over and bring both of the bottom points far enough together so that you can slide one of the points into the other, forming a circle.
- Holding the join firmly in place, slip your fingers inside to make the rest even and round so that the top point matches the point on the lower pleated cuff.