Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my Grandmother, an Aunt, my Mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding. Here's a step-by-step instruction on how to make one of the easiest of them all.. a simple folded on with the napkin ring holding everything in place. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. This one I learned in the Oasis restaurant in tiny township of Omarama, New Zealand.
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you.
- Begin folding accordion/pleating style from the bottom, all the way up to the top. Make each fold/ pleat about 3/4" - 1" (2 cm - 2.5cm) wide.
- Fold the pleated napkin in half.
- Place the serviette into the wine glass, folding the first inch at the base underneath to keep pleats in place.
- Unfold the pleats and shape into a fan. Interlock the two center pleats if needed to keep the fan intact.