Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my grandmother, an aunt, my mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. This one was taught to me whilst waitressing at the Stagecoach Restaurant in Christchurch, New Zealand in the 1980's. It's a very easy one to teach children.
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you in a diamond shape.
- Fold the bottom point at South up to the top point at North, there will be a horizontal crease at the bottom.
- Fold the East corner up to meet the North point and then repeat with the West corner.
- Carefully turn the serviette over so that the open points are facing in the North position.
- Fold the South point up to meet the North point. You will now have a triangle that has a vertical gap running down the centre.
- Take the east/west points of the triangle and bring them together at the back, gently open the gap at the front if necessary so that the serviette stands up by itself with the pleat to the front and the east/west points facing to the back.