Prep 3 mins
Cook 0 mins
Between the teachings of my grandmother, an aunt, my mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding.. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/supplement the written directions. I can't remember who taught me this one... it's nice to put placenames, small flowers, a small mint etc into.
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you in a square shape.
- Take the bottom two corners and fold them 1/3 of the way up the serviette.The fold line should be at the bottom.
- Take the top two corners and fold them 1/3 down so that the top two corners are level with the fold line that you made in the previous step.You now have a rectangle in front of you.
- Place your finger in the centre top point of the rectangle and with the other hand take the top right hand corner of the rectangle and fold it to the center bottom of the rectangle, but continue past the bottom of the rectangle so that you have a vertical straight line running down the center and a small flap sticking out that the bottom. Repeat with the left side of the serviette.
- Then fold the bottom two flaps back on top of themselves so that they are level with the bottom of the rest of the serviette. You will have before you a thin rectangle shape on the bottom and a triangle on top of it and there will be a vertical gap in the center of both of them.
- Take the right hand end of the rectangle and fold it into the center, repeat with the left hand side of the rectangle but insert it into the opposite piece.
- This should form a small square pocket that has a triangular top.