Recipe by jrusk
I make BBS a lot. I've adapted it from the SBD the way I enjoy it. This recipe is well seasoned and a bit spicy. Sometimes I eat a small amount of this as an afternoon snack and it always curbs my hunger. It freezes well too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced (or 1/4 cup chopped onion)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot. Saute scallions, celery, jalapeno, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add all spices, (except for balsamic vinegar). Cook two more minutes.
- Add Rotel tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes. Add black beans and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar.
- When beans are well heated add mixture to a blender and puree in batches. Add all batches back to pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Top with fat free sour cream, cheese or onions.