Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is an adaptation of a recipe from the Rival website. My family adores it. serves 8 very hungry people.
- 2 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 3 heads garlic
- italian seasoning
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 -2 loaf thickly sliced Italian bread or 1 -2 loaf French bread
- grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
- wash celery, and cut into 3 inch pieces, lay on bottom of 6 qt crock pot.
- separate the garlic into unpeeled cloves, layer in bottom of crock pot.
- wash and dry chickens inside and out, discard or reserve innards and necks.
- rub chickens thoroughly with Italian seasoning, inside and out.
- place 3 stalks of cilantro inside each chicken.
- tie or net chickens, and place in crock pot.
- top with 3-5 stalks of cilantro.
- cook 7-10 hours on low, 6-8 hours on high, removing some juice half way through to prevent overflow.
- remove chickens to a platter.
- squeeze roasted garlic out of peel, and combine with softened butter.
- spread on thickly sliced french or Italian bread, and broil until melted and slightly toasted.
- top with grated cheese if desired.
- Thickened with milk and flour, the juice makes wonderful gravy for mashed potatoes.
Not bad....but felt it was missing something! made exctly as posted. thanks for posting
Made for PAC 06. This is delicious! My photos do not do justice to the recipe. Very garlicky! Very good! Suggest that it is removed from the crock pot after 4 hours and finished in the oven. Mine almost fell apart transfering it to oven to brown. SOOOO TASTY! And the garicky gravy I made from the dripping was delish! Thanks for posting!!!