Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Got this amazing recipe from the best-selling UK Good Food Magazine a while ago! This is seriously too good to be true...
- 1⁄2 cup butter (cubed)
- flour, for dusting
- 5 ounces best quality dark chocolate, you can find (broken into pieces)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 5 ounces ground almonds (1/2cup + 2 tbsp.)
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- cocoa powder, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Grease a 23cm/9inch springform cake pan and the line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Dust the sides with a bit of flour.
- Melt chocolate and butter (in a heatproof bowl) over a pan of gently simmering water or you can use the microwave.
- Heat until melted, remove bowl from heat and stir until smooth.
- Set aside for around 5 minutes for it to cool.
- Stir in the egg yolks, ground almonds, and the liquuer.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl, add the salt, and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Continue whisking, sprinkling in the sugar a little at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Stir 2 tbsp.
- of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then carefully fold in the remainder until not traces of white are left.
- Carefully pour mixture into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until well risen and firm to touch.
- Let it cool in the pan (it's ok if the cake sinks and cracks a little).
- To serve, dust the surface of the cake with cocoa powder and cut into slices.