Recipe by Roosie
Healthy + Cake = Very, Very Good. This recipe comes from the La Leche League International cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family." It was created by Diana Lewis of San Antonio, TX for the October birthday of her daughter, Serenity.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup currants or 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup soy flour
- 2⁄3 cup powdered milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak raisins/currants hello in boiling water for about 15-20 minutes, or until most of the water has absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour a bundt pan, tube pan or layer pans.
- Cream butter with honey and molasses until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla then beat in the pumpkin.
- In a seperate bowl, sift together flour, soy flour, milk powder, salt, soda, powder and the spices.
- Drain any remaining liquid from the raisins/currants and toss with a fork in 1 cup of the flour mixture to coat.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, alternating with the milk, stirring after each addition.
- Fold in the floured raisins/currant and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.