Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My garden is currently loaded with cucumbers and peppers, so I'll be making this salad very soon. I'm posting it for the Zaar World Tour. From Moosewood.
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweeet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Place the chopped peppers in a stainless steel bowl and scald them with boiling water for about one minute.
- Drain the peppers well and mix in the cucumbers, onions, and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil and all the herbs and spices.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
- Chill for several hours.
- Arrange the romaine on a platter, mound the salad in the center, and garnish with hard-boiled eggs.
A delicious salad with a really tasty dressing! And certainly one I’ll be making again during the summer. It would be really refreshing to eat on hot days. I used spring onions instead of the onion, and cut the egg into quarters. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. And I heeded toni’s advice and made this the night before for the following day’s lunch. I made only a third quantity, which made generous servings for two days, and as I’d anticipated it was even more delicious on the second day. So if you can make it ahead, do so. On the second day, I sprinkled a small handful of cashews on top just before I ate it. Undoubtedly not very Serbian, but a delicious addition. When I serve this as a salad as part of a meal, I will serve it on a bed of baby spinach leaves (which I use more than lettuce). Thanks for sharing this recipe, Bunny Mom!
Very tastey!! DH was thrilled that I included the hard boiled eggs! I rarely put them in salads...so this really made a hit! Thanks!
This was a tasty summer salad that came together fairly quickly. It is just mildly flavored and packed with lots of crunch from the cucumbers and peppers. I had my first serving just an hour or so after making and the second the next day. The additional time made a vast difference and should not be rushed or skipped. For the leftovers, I skipped the lettuce and eggs and my light supper salad was transformed into a perfect side salad. Thanks Bunny Mom.