My garden is currently loaded with cucumbers and peppers, so I'll be making this salad very soon. I'm posting it for the Zaar World Tour. From Moosewood.
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sweeet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Place the chopped peppers in a stainless steel bowl and scald them with boiling water for about one minute.
- Drain the peppers well and mix in the cucumbers, onions, and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil and all the herbs and spices.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
- Chill for several hours.
- Arrange the romaine on a platter, mound the salad in the center, and garnish with hard-boiled eggs.