Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is for Serbian Cevapi or also known as Cevapcici. They are home made sausage links for lunch or dinner usually served over a bed of minced onions on a platter. They are also served in sandwiches with Pita or Home made Flatbread (Lepinja) with raw onions, tomato wedges and lettuce. Or a Serbian spread called Kajmak. This recipe makes about 45 links depending on how you cut them. I would suggest letting them sit in the fridge or cool place over night to let the flavor set in.. But at least 2 hours to cool in fridge.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup club soda
- 5 finely minced garlic cloves
- Combine all 3 meats with the dry ingredients and the garlic. Using your hands, mix until the dry ingredients and garlic is evenly spread into the mixture. As you are mixing, slowly add the club soda. Pour 2 ounces work into mixture and add another 2 and repeat.
- Finally add the beaten egg white and mix one more time until it is worked into the mixture. Then the shaping and storage comes inches You can shape them by hand into links about 4 inches long and 3/4 of an inch thick and let them sit for an hour in the cooler. Or you can follow the method below the cooking instructions.
- These links can be prepared on a grill cooked for about 4 to 5 mins each side or can be cooked in the oven at 350°F for 30 minutes (turned every 15 mins).
- The best way to shape the links is to take a 1/2 deep cookie pan covered with Freezer or Wax paper on the bottom and over lapping the ends with 1 to 2 inches. Then evenly spread the mixture over the inside of the pan and cover with an additional sheet of wax paper.
- Allow at least 1 hour in the fridge to cool off so the shape can hold.
- If you have a large cutting board, remove the pan from the cooler. Flip the pan over the top of the cutting board so the mixture falls out. If not, use one of the ends of the paper on the bottom of the mixture to pull it out.
- Next, take a large pizza cutter and cut downwards every 1" to 1 1/2". Then depending on the length you would like the links, you can cut across 2 or 3 ways. Cutting it across in the middle makes less links. Cutting 2 lines makes about 45 links.