Recipe by Mt House mama
This recipe I think is from Sephardic Flavors. I really like it, it's very close to a quiche but no crust. We also add in both potato and zucchini. We cut the salt that it calls for cause we think the cheese make it salty enough. If you are new to cooking with leeks the best way that to clean them is soak them in water for a bit, the sand will fall to the bottom.
- 3 lbs leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into thin lengthwise slices and washed (about 15 medium or 12 large)
- 1 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons table salt or 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded kashkaval, gouda, muenster or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ground black pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F Oil a 9-inch square or 8 by 11inch baking dish or two 9-inch pie plates.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and if using the onion and saute until softened about 10 minutes. Add the water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the table salt or 3 teaspoons kosher salt, cover and simmer until the leeks are tender about 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combinethe cheeses, eggs, oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt, pepper and if using the dill.
- Stir in leeks.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Bake until set and golden brown, about 50 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- W/potatos. Omit the cheese and cook 2 pounds peeled and diced russet potatoes with the leeks, mashing them together after draining. If desired add 1/2 cup grated kashkaval or parmesan cheese.
- W/Zucchini. use only 1 1/2 pounds leeks and add 2 cups (about 1 pound) grated zucchini with the water.
- W/potatos & zucchini. Omit cheese, add 2 pounds potatos and cut leeks to 1 1/2 pounds and add 2 cups zucchini. Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. You can if you want add some feta still about 1/2 cup at the same point you'd add the other cheese.