Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a close approximation of my grandmother's recipe. She used (and I prefer) red wine instead of grape juice, but the option for no alcohol is there for you.
- 1 lb pitted dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 8 tablespoons sweet kosher red wine or 8 tablespoons grape juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Soak dates in saucepan in water for an hour. Then bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes till they are nice and soft and breaking down.
- Drain any excess water.
- Put dates in food processor with cinnamon, slowly adding wine as needed to form a semi-smooth puree.
- Pulse or stir in walnuts.
- Adjust ingredients to taste.
- Serve on matzah.