Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adore this recipe, and so does the entire family. Fills your house with a yummy aroma, and tastes just as good! Apart from chopping onion and parsley, there is no work to this, just let it cook in a high quality cast iron or dutch oven pot, and enjoy the beautiful results!
- 6 chicken drumsticks (thighs are even better, but more fat content)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cumin seed (toasted and crushed is preferred, but not necessary)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 1 teaspoon crystallized ginger (omitting if unavailable)
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke bottoms, drained (NOT marinated!)
- kosher salt, for sprinkling
- 1⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- water, at room temperature
- In a cast iron or other heavy pot, sautee onion on oil until translucent and tender.
- Mix together the allspice, sea salt, hot paprika, turmeric, cumins, and garlic powder. Dip chicken in this mixture.
- When onion is translucent, add chicken and cook for 10minutes until browned on all sides.
- Add 3/4 cup water and crystallized ginger (if using) and continue braising for 20-25minutes on low-medium, mostly covered with lid (do not place lid on tight! Steam should be able to escape).
- Add water (till 1/2 way up or so), harissa (add less if prefer less spicy dish), green peas, and garlic cloves. Reduce heat to simmer, and stew for 30-45minutes, until chicken is soft, sauce has reduced by half, and the smell is already driving you insane.
- Add artichoke bottoms, and sprinkle kosher salt over the top.
- Continue cooking on low for another 30minutes until chicken is very tender, and can easily fall off the bone (cooking times may differ depending on your cooking vessel). 2 important points: 1)Don't let the artichoke overcook, or it will be mushy and unappealing; 2)Don't let the chicken dehydrate - if you need to add some more water, do so.
- Enjoy over a bed of couscous!