Recipe by Chef Stephen McChesney
One of my favorite breakfast foods, and it's easy on the teeth - this recipe is borrowed from my cookbook.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- 4 slices Italian bread, cut I-inch thick
- 1 medium orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium banana, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- green seedless grape, for garnish
- maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium size bowl, beat eggs lightly with a fork. Add milk, nutmeg, and maple extract. Cut each slice of bread almost through to make two 1/2-inch slices attached at one side. Spoon 1 Tablespoon egg mixture inside slices, then fill with a layer of orange and banana slices.
- Dip each side of stuffed bread into beaten eggs to moisten lightly.
- Repeat with remaining bread, fruit and egg mixture.
- Melt butter or margarine in a 12-inch non-stick pan. Cook stuffed bread slices about 4 minutes on one side, or until golden brown, then turn carefully and cook on other side. Garnish plate with remaining fruit and green grapes. Serve with maple syrup.