Recipe by jbe467
This is the best taco salad I have ever had. One would not think Catalina dressing belongs on this dish - but I believe that single ingredient is what puts this salad over the proverbial top. I got this recipe from a friend of a friend of a friend, and I was hesitant to try it, but I am so glad I finally did! My kids love this salad! You can adjust the ingredients to suit your own tastes, and I love recipes that easily let you do that, especially when there is someone who dislikes an ingredient or favors one over another. As you can see, I have left the actual measurements of most of the ingredients up to your taste and imagination.
- 1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips
- 1 lb lean hamburger
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
- chopped tomato
- green onion, finely chopped
- sour cream
- Catalina dressing (no substitutions as this really makes the salad!!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat in saucepan and drain off excess fat.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning and add the can of tomato sauce, stirring well.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While meat is browning/simmering, get as many bowls as you will need and place semi-crushed tortilla chips in the bottom and sides of each bowl.
- When meat is done, add to the bowl (on top of the chips).
- Add cheese on top of meat (so it starts to melt).
- Then add the lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Top with a smidgen more cheese.
- To finish, add sour cream to the top of the dish.
- Then add a small steady stream (get decorative if you want) of the catalina dressing.
- For garnish, vertically stick in a few whole tortilla chips.