Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a really yummy recipe - it has my favorites - spinach and cheese! It is a very filling meal. I cannot remember where I got the original recipe from, but have been making it for years. It is hard for me to just eat one piece! I use Owen's brand Italian sausage which is packaged like breakfast sausage; if you use regular Itialian sausage, remove casings, crumble and cook. I also have been unable to find Herbed Soft Cream cheese, so have been substituting the Garlic&/onion.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container soft cream cheese, herb flavored
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 uncooked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook sausage and drain.
- Mix cooked sausage, cheeses, thawed spinach, 2 eggs, and hot pepper sauce until well blended.
- Place pie crust in 10 inch deep dish pie plate.
- Place filling inside one pie crust.
- Place other pie crust on top of filling.
- Seal crusts and flute ends.
- Beat remaining egg and brush on top of pie crust.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until pastry is lightly browned.
Very good. I omitted the sausage and also added 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1 small minced onion because I couldn't find the herb cream cheese. I also doubled the amount of hot pepper sauce. I think this would make a great filling for stuffed shells or manicotti.