Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My MIL loves sauerkraut, so when I saw this recipe from Emeril Lagasse, I had to try it. You absolutely MUST rinse the sauerkraut thoroughly!
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup hard alcoholic cider (beer product)
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, drain and rinse
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potato (Any kind that is firm and will hold it's shape vs. breaking down)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a soup pot brown the kielbasa slices on medium-high (about 5 min).
- Add the onions and celery until soft and lightly browned (only a couple of min).
- Add the garlic (only 1 minute - don't let it scorch).
- Add the bottle of cider and reduce almost completely.
- Add the sauerkraut, chicken broth, potatoes, thyme and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on very low heat until potatoes and kraut are soft through (about 1 hour).
- Serve immediately (crusty sourdough is good accompaniment).