Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Senor Pico restaurant in Los Angeles. This sauce was used on chile rellenos, but goes well with other dishes.
- Saute onion, garlic, and hot peppers in oil until the onion is trasparent, but not browned.
- Add tomato paste and chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer about 2 minutes; add broth, sugar, salt and vinegar.
- Simmer until the tomatoes are cooked, then puree in a blender.
- Re-heat and thicken lightly with flour mixed with 1-2 Tablespoons cold water.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Top rellenos with sauce.
Made this with your rellenos recipe from the same place - they were great together. Thanks for posting them.
I used this for Mexican Manicotti Mexican Manicotti. It turned out wonderfully, thanks!
My compliments, Miss Annie, this is a nifty picante sauce recipe. I threw it together to use in Bev's "Dan's Favorite Tex Mex Skillet Dinner"...Gosh, it worked good. It's nice too because I had all the ingredients on hand. I can see where it's versatile...Will go fine on other Mexican dishes... Thanks for posting. Laudee