- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- jalapeno, minced (to your taste, I use 3)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, and hot peppers in oil until the onion is trasparent, but not browned.
- Add tomato paste and chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer about 2 minutes; add broth, sugar, salt and vinegar.
- Simmer until the tomatoes are cooked, then puree in a blender.
- Re-heat and thicken lightly with flour mixed with 1-2 Tablespoons cold water.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Top rellenos with sauce.